Meet Leanne Vandelight from Uplift Health & Fitness Coaching
Hi I’m Leanne Vandeligt, health coach, personal trainer, weightloss consultant. I love helping women to feel the way they used to, look the way they want, and be stronger in every way, awesome, powerful, vital women,best version for them. My support and coaching is for busy, overwhelmed women, who want to learn how to use doable simple health, self-care with support to feel great, start feeling healthy, because they deserve more than just weight-loss.
I have a rural home and a purpose built studio in Little River, where I offer group classes to local women and mums, along with Personal Training and online Health Coaching packages via phone/internet (FitsYou 30 day and 6 week packages). My goal is helping women to like how they look and fee. Be happy with themselves inside and out. Busy women need doable health, accountability, new ways, new thoughts, simple steps and movement that works and fits their day).
Why and when did you start your own business?
I’ve been in this industry for 30 years, starting as an crazy young, aerobic instructor. Although I probably didn’t get it until I got older as how precious time is for women trying to fit exercise in. I started Personal Training from home about 10 years ago so I could work around the baby’s (2 boys now 12 & 9). This work suits me as I love helping women like me, I get them and they get me. I also wanted to make fitness and weightloss, easy, a positive experience not a scary or intimidating or disappointing one.
What does being a business owner mean to you?
A business owner means flexibility to juggle children, school, home and offers me an income to contribute to my family. It also has allowed me to grow, empower, care for and develop. It’s taught me how to connect in a valuable way, offering a valuable outcome to women who need to start somewhere, I don’t train fit people. I still have a lot of business skills to learn especially going on-line, a whole new ball game with loads of potential to get it wrong.
What or who has been your greatest influence in business and why?
I would say my husband who has supported my every desire in creating this business, even when it hasn’t made an income. Secondly there are special women I’ve met as clients who have made me feel grateful because of their growth and their appreciation for what they gained. I learnt what it was like as a mum, and everyone struggles in one way or another. It’s tough for some to juggle family to still achieve what they really want. Struggle with confidence, time, mindset and body image, but to end up more confident and free to choose how they want to be.
What would you say is your greatest professional accomplishment to date?
My humble home studio in Altona won a Hobsons Bay Business, “Best Home Business” award a few years ago now (Seaside Fitness).
What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers?
If you don’t know the next step, or what to do, sit on it for a while, be still, allow time to think, the answer comes eventually.
What has been the most effective marketing initiatives or programs you have used to promote your business?
Winning the award for Hobsons Bay as I could use the publicity to get my business seen.Recently though Facebook has to be the most powerful when you know how to use it, (still learning). Community newspapers/newsletters/advertisements work ok too, a bit hit and miss. Networking and connection are now my focus to share my message.
What is one thing have you learned as a small business owner that has served you well over the years?
Word of mouth works best. Don’t spend money you don’t have, never really returns investment to pay for it. Avoid shiny wants, impulsive action, focus, less is more.
Are there any resources or tools you’d like to share with other small business owners that have helped you run your business?
Canva for design (free) I love for creating ads, social media, banners, Facebook anything you want really. Wix is my website and it’s so easy to work on, I can add, change anytime, great for blogging and also email chimp, I’m not tech savvy but if I can email and blog and look professional, I’m happy. Haven’t started with lead pages, and funnels yet, still manual.
What do you do for fun/relaxation?
Walking the dog, water walking, gym, girlfriends, family time, game of Uno.
What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful woman in business?
Clarity, Focus, Brave, – “imperfect action is better than no action”, be brave share your message, someone needs to hear it. No such thing as perfect time, just do it.
What fears have you faced in business? Have you overcome it/them?
Avoiding ringing people seem to struggle with selling myself, low confidence didn’t want to charge enough, not believed in myself enough.
How do you manage fear?
Found an awesome coach “women on fire” Emma Osullivan, and constantly work on improving my mindset. Break down the actions needed to reduce the fear, I ensure I believe I offer value, my service is needed and solves a problem and is authentic for me. Has to feel good for me to help others.
What are your top 5 goals you want to achieve by the end of 2017?
- Improve my mindset, confidence and vibe to shine and share my message
- Offer awesome, helpful Health coaching packages to helps women feel great about themselves.
- Create online and community workshops for creating healthy strong women.
- Improve income monthly, annually to 5 figures
- Improve participation in my group classes locally
What makes you happy?
Sharing time as a family, my husband works away so not as much family time as I’d like.
Have you had to make any sacrifices whilst running your business? If so, what are they?
Not making a regular income as I did before kids
Where you see yourself and your business in 2-5 years?
Health coaching daily, running programs online and supporting women to thrive, whilst making an income to be proud of and help contribute to our home financially.
What book has inspired you the most?
I love Elizabeth Gilbert – big magic. Her brain is awesome and I love her courage. I also just finished “Mastering your mean girl – Mellissa Ambrosini which I also loved.
How do you measure your success in business?
Connections, outcomes for clients, personal development, income improving annually
Where is your dream destination to go for a holiday and why?
Right now I’d be happy with Noosa, but would love Hawai and Australia Zoo for the kids is on my list.
What is your favourite inspirational quote?
I have many I love, especially Oprah. But I do love; “Choose your thoughts like you choose your clothes” – Elizabeth Gilbert
“How you treat yourself is a reflection of what you think of your self “– Mellissa Ambrosini
What are your top business tips?
- Morning routines that make you feel good are key to start your day off well
- Write down intentions daily,
- Use nature as often as you can
- Do the inner work – read, learn, listen to be inspired and recognise gaps
- Sleep and rest when you need for clarity and focus
- Journal any thoughts you have anytime, anywhere
Why did you become a WBS Member?
Because I could see women help women and from a business perspective little river is a little isolated, and being an owner can be lonely too.
Connect with Leanne
WOMENS BUSINESS SOCIETY TEAM
WHAT TO READ NEXT
- In this episode, we talk to Psychologist Jessica Cleary, Director & Principal Psychologist of Hopscotch & Harmony about Mindful Parenting …Read More »
- Negotiis Property is a different type of real estate agency. Although we offer the similar services of a typical agent …Read More »
- Emma Murnane is an expert on the impacts & benefits of promotional products, and in this episode, she passes on some …Read More »
- In one of our best episodes yet, Emma Borg from Unique Phoenix dives deep into one of the most crucial …Read More »
- Meet Maree Sortino from The Social Secret The Social Secret is my pride and joy! I had been working …Read More »
- In episode 8, Obu from Smart Money Solutions shares invaluable tips and insights that will help you with strategies to reach …Read More »
- As a copywriter, it’s my job to make your business sound better. I write websites, brochures, books, and blogs that …Read More »
- The Social Secret shares 5 Top Social Media Tips for small businesses.Read More »
- This week Carolyn from EmpowerKin Kinesiology shares her Stress Relieving Techniques Using Kinesiology. Kinesiology is the science of energy …Read More »
- Making Your Inconsistent Income Your Friend with Budgeting123 Budgeting123 helps individuals and families to plan their household savings and spending …Read More »