Meet Fay Chan from Budgeting123
Tell us about your business
Budgeting123 helps review household budgets around spending & savings plans. Empowering you to live & live well within your means.
Why and when did you start your own business?
Hubby’s been on my back about starting my own budgeting biz as I was so passionate about it & worked in the industry prior to falling pregnant. So when it was time to consider what’s next when our boy turned 1, it was the natural fall into creating Budgeting123.
What does being a business owner mean to you?
There’s so much to being a business owner. It actually sounds so formal, doesn’t it? For me it’s a bunch of words to describe it– creativity, choice, prioritisation, organic growth, flexibility, stressful, timing, fulfilment, prayers, love, laughter, network, afraid, scared, tearing my hair out, giving up, keep going, and passion!
What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers?
Doesn’t matter if you’re having a bad day, or you can’t be bothered, or looking after a sick child, just do one thing a day, and then one day, there will be a tipping point.
What has been the most effective marketing initiatives or programs you have used to promote your business?
Participating in groups and being supportive, and then only advertise in the groups. It’s all about growing trust & credibility.
What is one thing have you learned as a small business owner that has served you well over the years?
Know how to elongate your current income & savings for as long as possible. Revenue isn’t great at all at the start, so you need to be smart about your spending to make sure your basic bills are at least taken care of.
What do you do for fun/relaxation?
If I can muster up the time, it’s definitely a session or two of Bikram Yoga, swimming laps.
What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful woman in business?
Have you had to make any sacrifices whilst running your business?
- Have to watch very carefully how I spend at home as well as in the business.
- We’ve done a lot of things in-house, and have worked very late hours 7 days a week.
What book has inspired you the most?
My favorite book is a book of poetry. I’ve heard a pastor say that it sums up life so beautifully and much more concise than The Bible. It’s “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran
How do you measure your success in business?
By the people I impact and from the feedback I get. Those are indicators and signs that I’m on the right path and true to my purpose. That’s ultimately my universal measure of success.
Why did you become a WBS Member?
I only came across WBS when I put my hand up to be a guest speaker, but I hadn’t discovered the network until then. It’s turning out to be a place where I’m feeling supported (thanks Cazz!) and there’s quite a lot of useful information on the group pages. Plus the networking events which I’m very much looking forward to attending!
Fay Chan is a WBS Speaker at our WBs Networking Events:
Fay’s Topic of discussion – “The opportunity to budget & save leads to a lifestyle of choice & an access to living well.”
Connect with Budgeting 123
WHAT TO READ NEXT
- In this episode, we talk to Psychologist Jessica Cleary, Director & Principal Psychologist of Hopscotch & Harmony about Mindful Parenting …Read More »
- Negotiis Property is a different type of real estate agency. Although we offer the similar services of a typical agent …Read More »
- Emma Murnane is an expert on the impacts & benefits of promotional products, and in this episode, she passes on some …Read More »
- In one of our best episodes yet, Emma Borg from Unique Phoenix dives deep into one of the most crucial …Read More »
- Meet Maree Sortino from The Social Secret The Social Secret is my pride and joy! I had been working …Read More »
- In episode 8, Obu from Smart Money Solutions shares invaluable tips and insights that will help you with strategies to reach …Read More »
- As a copywriter, it’s my job to make your business sound better. I write websites, brochures, books, and blogs that …Read More »
- The Social Secret shares 5 Top Social Media Tips for small businesses.Read More »
- This week Carolyn from EmpowerKin Kinesiology shares her Stress Relieving Techniques Using Kinesiology. Kinesiology is the science of energy …Read More »
- Making Your Inconsistent Income Your Friend with Budgeting123 Budgeting123 helps individuals and families to plan their household savings and spending …Read More »