Meet Fay Chan from Budgeting123
Tell us about your business
Budgeting123 helps review household budgets around spending & savings plans. Empowering you to live & live well within your means.
Why and when did you start your own business?
Hubby’s been on my back about starting my own budgeting biz as I was so passionate about it & worked in the industry prior to falling pregnant. So when it was time to consider what’s next when our boy turned 1, it was the natural fall into creating Budgeting123.
What does being a business owner mean to you?
There’s so much to being a business owner. It actually sounds so formal, doesn’t it? For me it’s a bunch of words to describe it– creativity, choice, prioritisation, organic growth, flexibility, stressful, timing, fulfilment, prayers, love, laughter, network, afraid, scared, tearing my hair out, giving up, keep going, and passion!
What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers?
Doesn’t matter if you’re having a bad day, or you can’t be bothered, or looking after a sick child, just do one thing a day, and then one day, there will be a tipping point.
What has been the most effective marketing initiatives or programs you have used to promote your business?
Participating in groups and being supportive, and then only advertise in the groups. It’s all about growing trust & credibility.
What is one thing have you learned as a small business owner that has served you well over the years?
Know how to elongate your current income & savings for as long as possible. Revenue isn’t great at all at the start, so you need to be smart about your spending to make sure your basic bills are at least taken care of.
What do you do for fun/relaxation?
If I can muster up the time, it’s definitely a session or two of Bikram Yoga, swimming laps.
What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful woman in business?
Have you had to make any sacrifices whilst running your business?
- Have to watch very carefully how I spend at home as well as in the business.
- We’ve done a lot of things in-house, and have worked very late hours 7 days a week.
What book has inspired you the most?
My favorite book is a book of poetry. I’ve heard a pastor say that it sums up life so beautifully and much more concise than The Bible. It’s “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran
How do you measure your success in business?
By the people I impact and from the feedback I get. Those are indicators and signs that I’m on the right path and true to my purpose. That’s ultimately my universal measure of success.
Why did you become a WBS Member?
I only came across WBS when I put my hand up to be a guest speaker, but I hadn’t discovered the network until then. It’s turning out to be a place where I’m feeling supported (thanks Cazz!) and there’s quite a lot of useful information on the group pages. Plus the networking events which I’m very much looking forward to attending!
Fay Chan is a WBS Speaker at our WBs Networking Events:
Fay’s Topic of discussion – “The opportunity to budget & save leads to a lifestyle of choice & an access to living well.”
Connect with Budgeting 123
WHAT TO READ NEXT
- Dr. Vesna Grubacevic is driven by making a profound difference and has dedicated her life to empowering others. She …Read More »
- Launched in November 2018! A collaboration book featuring business women from Women’s Business Society “How Courageous Fearless and Purpose …Read More »
- In this episode, we talk to Kirsten Flavell, founder of Map Your Brand, about how to write content that attracts …Read More »
- When was the last time you put off doing something that you said you would do? Do you drag your …Read More »
- My business is Qt, which stands for Quantum Transformations. We offer highly personalised NLP, Hypnotherapy and Qt respecti ® consultations, …Read More »
- Welcome to the Sixth issue of the WBS Magazine! Grab yourself a coffee, put your feet up and enjoy WBS …Read More »
- Our guest for episode 18 is Katarina Nave of SGP ConsultingRead More »
- Meet Judith McDonald from Travel Managers Tell us about your business I work with both leisure and corporate clients in …Read More »
- Meet Frances from The Conscientious Cook. Frances is “The Conscientious Cook”. She is a passionate advocate for health …Read More »
- What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers? That if …Read More »