Meet Fay Chan from Budgeting123
Tell us about your business
Budgeting123 helps review household budgets around spending & savings plans. Empowering you to live & live well within your means.
Why and when did you start your own business?
Hubby’s been on my back about starting my own budgeting biz as I was so passionate about it & worked in the industry prior to falling pregnant. So when it was time to consider what’s next when our boy turned 1, it was the natural fall into creating Budgeting123.
What does being a business owner mean to you?
There’s so much to being a business owner. It actually sounds so formal, doesn’t it? For me it’s a bunch of words to describe it– creativity, choice, prioritisation, organic growth, flexibility, stressful, timing, fulfilment, prayers, love, laughter, network, afraid, scared, tearing my hair out, giving up, keep going, and passion!
What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers?
Doesn’t matter if you’re having a bad day, or you can’t be bothered, or looking after a sick child, just do one thing a day, and then one day, there will be a tipping point.
What has been the most effective marketing initiatives or programs you have used to promote your business?
Participating in groups and being supportive, and then only advertise in the groups. It’s all about growing trust & credibility.
What is one thing have you learned as a small business owner that has served you well over the years?
Know how to elongate your current income & savings for as long as possible. Revenue isn’t great at all at the start, so you need to be smart about your spending to make sure your basic bills are at least taken care of.
What do you do for fun/relaxation?
If I can muster up the time, it’s definitely a session or two of Bikram Yoga, swimming laps.
What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful woman in business?
Have you had to make any sacrifices whilst running your business?
- Have to watch very carefully how I spend at home as well as in the business.
- We’ve done a lot of things in-house, and have worked very late hours 7 days a week.
What book has inspired you the most?
My favorite book is a book of poetry. I’ve heard a pastor say that it sums up life so beautifully and much more concise than The Bible. It’s “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran
How do you measure your success in business?
By the people I impact and from the feedback I get. Those are indicators and signs that I’m on the right path and true to my purpose. That’s ultimately my universal measure of success.
Why did you become a WBS Member?
I only came across WBS when I put my hand up to be a guest speaker, but I hadn’t discovered the network until then. It’s turning out to be a place where I’m feeling supported (thanks Cazz!) and there’s quite a lot of useful information on the group pages. Plus the networking events which I’m very much looking forward to attending!
Fay Chan is a WBS Speaker at our WBs Networking Events:
Fay’s Topic of discussion – “The opportunity to budget & save leads to a lifestyle of choice & an access to living well.”
Connect with Budgeting 123
WHAT TO READ NEXT
- Wednesday Weekly Facebook #WBSLIVE Inner Rhythm talks about developing confidence in this video. You can read all …Read More »
- In this not to be missed episode, we talk about branding with branding expert Liz Thompson, owner of Caliba. Branding …Read More »
- Slow down and enjoy life!Read More »
- Leanne Vandeligt from Nurture Weightloss Wellness talks about - How to fit in self-care and movement whilst juggling work and …Read More »
- Weekly Facebook #WBSLIVE Karen Kennedy from Bookit Bookkeeping talks about - Start the new FY on the right foot.Read More »
- Weekly Facebook #WBSLIVE Samantha talks about - Becoming an author & building your online profile. Samantha Jansen is the founder …Read More »
- Customer Service & Follow Up with Tracey Hall from Excelling in Direct SalesRead More »
- Meet Androulla from Empower Beyond Androulla Sakkas, the Founder of EmpowerBeyond with over 20 years’ experience working with businesses to …Read More »
- "A goal without a date is just a dream" - Milton Erickson WHAT'S ON THIS WEEK ENDING 30TH JULY 2017Read More »
- Meet Ziggy Clements founder of Artz Collective Why and when did you start your own business? The Artz Collective was …Read More »