Meet Dewinta from Dewinta Dandot Photography
I’m a lifestyle and documentary photographer. I give clients a transformational experience that connects them with their loved ones and is portrayed within their artwork.
What or who has been your greatest influence in business and why?
My mum is my role model entrepreneur. She started off in house keeping and opened the first laundry & dry cleaning business in Borneo with just a bare minimum set up. Over time she grew her business from 1 to 4 branches, across 4 states. Sometimes I wish that I could turn back time to photograph her business story. These days I photograph her whilst in her much loved garden/nursery.
What one thing have you learned as a small business owner that has served you well over the years?
When you’re a small business owner and you’re just starting out, your family and friends are your closest support group and having them supporting you in your business is just as important as networking in your community. I am very grateful for having a supportive husband who helps me with my business as well as at home. He turned out to be better at cooking than me!
Are there any resources or tools you’d like to share with other small business owners that have helped you run your business?
There are so many people that I’d like to thank along the journey because they’ve been so wonderful in helping me in my business. I believe if you care enough to give your 100% & treat your customers with TLC, everything will flow…
- Jen from Jenna Rae Designs
- Amanda from Negotiis
- Wendy from West Lawyers
- Janice from The Floral Point
- Kathy from Petite Blooms
Do you have any new projects coming up (or have you just completed a big project ~ reached a milestone, etc.)? If so, please tell us about it.
There are a few things happening in 2016. Without giving away too much, I will be launching a Beginners Photography Workshop for mums as well as offering one-on-one mentoring sessions for budding photographers. There will also be opportunities for fund raising which will be mega awesome!
What do you do for fun/relaxation?
Lots! From entertaining guests over dinner parties, to movie dates, to a trip to the zoo. Time with family is both fun and relaxed at the same time! Well it can be chaotic but it’s fun! 🙂 I do enjoy some quiet moments too, but that happens when I’m editing or just pausing to absorb my surroundings.
What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?
- Find your passion. When you find it, ask yourself why. This may already be obvious by simply listening to yourself & your loved ones. For others, this process may take weeks or months, but I believe you can easily work this out by starting with yourself. A mentor asked me once, “If you have everything under the sun, what would you like to do?” I told her that I want to travel around the world and capture moments in life, be it big or small because I don’t want to miss a thing! So whenever I feel down or I have just had a bad day, I will always remember why I’m doing this…your passion will always be there to fuel you, no matter what.
- Planning. Every successful businesses needs a well thought out business plan. I cannot emphasise how important this is. You can have a passion but if there are no set goals, there’s no direction. Prior to starting out, my business plan was a bunch of stick figures, few words and numbers. There was no proper planning. The business was operating reactively & as a result, I got too overwhelmed. In 2015, I befriended a few mentors and that certainly changed my life for the better. Having a sense of direction definitely helps!
- Networking. To be honest, this is a skill you must always have when running a business. You need to build new relationships outside those 4 walls & learn how to cultivate it. Do so with genuine interest. I’m not fond of big networking events of business card exchanging activities. I find that its more important to have one-on-ones, giving each other the chance to understand each others businesses in more depth.
What is your greatest fear, and how do you manage fear? My greatest fear…public speaking! I manage my fear by doing it! Last year I attended so many networking events & made so many new friends as a result. It got me thinking…why was I nervous in the first place?! It’s still pretty nerve wrecking but with practice, it’s only a matter of time.
What makes you happy?
Family. Getting to know each family member and what makes them so loved, so special. It is with great joy to see their personalities come out in photographs. This is the part that is truly authentic. 🙂
What sacrifices have you had to make to be a successful entrepreneur? I don’t have an off button. I live & breathe photography. I hardly see my family and my health was deteriorating. It wasn’t until early 2015 that I have decided to slow down a bit and catch up on life. Don’t get me wrong, I truly love what I do but I could not do what I did before & that’s alright. Find a way to work smarter without impact to your health and family. It works for me working 3.5 days a week.
Where you see yourself and your business in 10 years? 20 years?
Definitely traveling around the world documenting life & giving clients a transformational experience wherever we go. 🙂
Do you have kiddies if so how many? And what is their favourite activity to do with you.
I have a 3.5 year old boy who is a ball of energy! He loves imaginative play and together we would set a few scenarios which involves Octonauts, Dinosaurs, Transformers, Paw Patrol, etc..
Connect with Dewinta
Womens Buisness Society Team
What to read next
- In one of our best episodes yet, Emma Borg from Unique Phoenix dives deep into one of the most crucial …Read More »
- Meet Maree Sortino from The Social Secret The Social Secret is my pride and joy! I had been working …Read More »
- In episode 8, Obu from Smart Money Solutions shares invaluable tips and insights that will help you with strategies to reach …Read More »
- As a copywriter, it’s my job to make your business sound better. I write websites, brochures, books, and blogs that …Read More »
- The Social Secret shares 5 Top Social Media Tips for small businesses.Read More »
- This week Carolyn from EmpowerKin Kinesiology shares her Stress Relieving Techniques Using Kinesiology. Kinesiology is the science of energy …Read More »
- Making Your Inconsistent Income Your Friend with Budgeting123 Budgeting123 helps individuals and families to plan their household savings and spending …Read More »
- Spending time on emotional health will create an amazing ripple effect in all areas of life. It will help you …Read More »
- Tracey Hall from Excelling In Direct Sales discusses - Leads, Sales and More - How to get leads, turn into sales …Read More »
- Grab yourself a coffee, put your feet up and enjoy WBS Magazine Issue 3! This issue is jam-packed with articles …Read More »