Meet Helen from Endless Motion & Upwey Health and Wellbeing
Female Entrepreneur Spotlight - Helen McKeown Click To Tweet
Helen is the owner/operator of two companies; Endless Motion provides Physiotherapy, Clinical Pilates and exercise therapy services, and Upwey Health a Wellbeing; a clinic location which provides opportunities for local practitioners to run their health and wellbeing practices in a collaborative environment.
Helen holds a B.AppSci (Human Movement), GradDip (Exercise Rehab) and Masters Physiotherapy. Prior to having kids and becoming an entrepreneur, Helen developed a passion for neurological rehabilitation, working in the hospital system in Brisbane. Her kids – now 3 and 5 have been the catalyst for her change in direction.
Tell us about your business
Endless Motion offers a personalised, holistic & integrated approach to movement and education. As a Physiotherapist, I have a special interest in neurological conditions as well as helping women (and men) to move, feel and function better.
Upwey Health & Wellbeing is a relativity new venture, opening in November of 2017. The clinic was opened to provide a location for other local business to operate from. To goal is to create a collaboration of local practitioners offering a range of health and wellbeing related services to the community.
Why and when did you start your own business?
Endless Motion was founded in 2013 after the birth of her first child as a way for Helen to return to work in a more flexible environment.
Upwey Health & Wellbeing opened in November 2017.
What does being a business owner mean to you?
It means flexibility and opportunity for myself and my family.
It has also meant a lot of hard work, learning new skills and facing my fears.
What or who has been your greatest influence in business and why?
My family and my kids – they are the reason I am in small business.
What would you say is your greatest professional accomplishment to date?
The successful launch of Upwey Health & Wellbeing last year
What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers?
As a perfectionist, it would have to be…It doesn’t need to be perfect! Just get it done, then make it better.
What has been the most effective marketing initiatives or programs you have used to promote your business?
Refer a friend discount – offering a discount to both the person referring and the new client.
Are there any resources or tools you’d like to share with other small business owners that have helped you run your business?
What do you do for fun/relaxation?
Being a stay at home mum to 2 pre-schoolers 3 days a week, a Physiotherapist 2 days a week and launching a new business 4 months ago, there hasn’t been much time for relaxation recently!
What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful woman in business?
- Communicating skills
- Learning new skills on the fly
What fears have you faced in business? Have you overcome it/them? How do you manage fear?
Pricing and marketing! During my study and whilst working full time before having kids I had no aspiration of owning my own business. I have struggled with setting pricing that reflect my clinical skills and experience, marketing my services and providing clients advice regauging their optimal management plan out of fear they would think that I was ‘selling’ my services. I have been forced to confront these issue head on to run a sustainable and successful business.
What are your top 3 goals you want to achieve by the end of 2018?
- To maintain and foster a positive team culture at Upwey Health and Wellbeing
- To consolidate robust systems in the clinic to reduce admin time
- To increase productivity to enable me to outsource roles in the clinic such as cleaning and gardening.
- To set up exercise therapy sessions for adults accessing the NDIS
What makes you happy?
Seeing my kids happy brings me great joy, as does being able to help other people achieve their goals.
Have you had to make any sacrifices whilst running your business? If so, what are they?
I have sacrificed a lot of personal time (and sleep!) to get Upwey Health and Wellbeing up and running.
What book your favourite book?
Buddhism for Mothers by Sarah Napthali
How do you measure your success in business?
What is your favourite inspirational quote?
Use the talents that you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. ~Henry van Dyke
What are your top 5 business tips?
- Do less, but with more focus
- Work to your strengths
- Take time out for yourself
- Know who your target clientele is, and what they want
- If you don’t know how to do it, find someone who does
Connect with Helen
0431 090 260
Upwey Health & Wellbeing
0431 090 260
Join us for the next WBS Event
WBS is coming to Boronia. Our launch event will be on the 9th March 2018 at the Zagames Boronia. Helen will be speaking about “Moving in business”.
Book your tickets here: https://goo.gl/msH34U.
WHAT TO READ NEXT
- Dr. Vesna Grubacevic is driven by making a profound difference and has dedicated her life to empowering others. She …Read More »
- Launched in November 2018! A collaboration book featuring business women from Women’s Business Society “How Courageous Fearless and Purpose …Read More »
- In this episode, we talk to Kirsten Flavell, founder of Map Your Brand, about how to write content that attracts …Read More »
- When was the last time you put off doing something that you said you would do? Do you drag your …Read More »
- My business is Qt, which stands for Quantum Transformations. We offer highly personalised NLP, Hypnotherapy and Qt respecti ® consultations, …Read More »
- Welcome to the Sixth issue of the WBS Magazine! Grab yourself a coffee, put your feet up and enjoy WBS …Read More »
- Our guest for episode 18 is Katarina Nave of SGP ConsultingRead More »
- Meet Judith McDonald from Travel Managers Tell us about your business I work with both leisure and corporate clients in …Read More »
- Meet Frances from The Conscientious Cook. Frances is “The Conscientious Cook”. She is a passionate advocate for health …Read More »
- What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers? That if …Read More »